Monday, August 6, 2012

Job Security


Get the party started on a Saturday night,
Everybody’s waiting for me to arrive,
Sendin’ out the message to all of my friends,
We’ll be lookin’ flashy in my Mercedes Benz.

Some people can’t appreciate the hits of ‘back in the day,’ but I had always been a big fan of Pink, and these beats wafting out my sunroof matched my mood this 4th of July.  I pulled up in front of Brian’s house and cut the engine. 

I always loved going to these parties and seeing the mix of people that we managed to get together at WD. Artists who looked like normal people, normal people that looked like artists, prospective writers who wanted to make a good impression on anyone that would talk with them about what they were working on, and people like me who just wanted to enjoy the show that was bound to take place.

I cat-walked it down the sidewalk, unsure if the pauses in conversation and jaw-dropping stares were a result of me in my bikini and shadow wrap or of the gigantic cheesecake I was holding that was decked out in an American flag made of plump blueberries and juicy strawberries. I smirked to myself and made sure that anyone who hadn’t already noticed my arrival noticed it now.  I flashed a perfect smile and made an attempt to greet everyone I already knew by name, smiling and dropping polite “hellos” to the newbees.

Brian glanced up at me from where he was involved in a deep conversation about page layouts and I decided to rescue him.  He met me halfway, and an innocent bystander would have seen the special spark in his eye, assuming an undercover office relationship.  “You look beautiful!” he whispered, “I’ve been waiting for you way too long.” 

What the viewer then saw would have made him blush at his own ridiculousness and have sent him straight back to the ice chest to cool his outlandish thoughts.  Brian’s loving gaze wasn’t for me; he was all about the cheesecake.  I had teased him once, saying he had only hired me on because I was a good cook, but the joke seemed too close to the truth.  After that, I kept my mouth shut and my desserts top notch.

“Hello to you too,” I said, craning my neck to catch his eyes that were caressing the creamy cake.  He looked up, and with all the due composure of the Editor gracefully motioned with his hand and led me to where I could lay the crown jewel.

Some poor new kid on the block saw Brian and thought it was his chance.  He nervously straightened his shirt and bound into our path, so focused on Brian that he didn’t see me and incidentally barged into me and the cake.  “Noo-oo-o!” Brian shouted and everything seemed to move in slow motion. 

I sat up seeing only stars—the ones on the cheesecake, that is.  I had landed face-first in my own vice.  The young writer obviously didn’t realize his mistake or he would have apologized to Brian, not to me.  Well, I’m the only one who got to try my cheesecake this holiday, and I guess that means I have job security until Thanksgiving at least!

No comments:

Post a Comment