Sunday, February 3, 2013

Shadow


My shadow stares at me,
A shapeless, faceless, two-dimensional beast,
Threatening to nip me and trip me and sneer as I fall
Into the inky vastness of my forever fears.

I am frozen by a wind that blows inside of me,
Fueled by a pilot heart and the icy flame it beats.
The chill seeps through me so deep that I can’t find the bottom;
I think I will drown here searching for an infinite reason.

 A slick bath of putrid cloaks me,
Melded against my flesh like a second skin.
I taste the rottenness flood my mouth as it seeps through my membranes,
A reminder that beauty is just a ribbon wrapped around a pile of dust.

My face is split down the middle,
Cracked and weathered by trial and error.
One eye sees bright things, the other the darkness that follows them.
Around my neck hangs a quarrel that strangles me, the Siamese twins of success and failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment